Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thankful


This is a only one day of 365 for us to be thankful and though it is sappy sentimentality (that's my synical self talking) here are my cheepened-by-the-internet thank yous.


I thank God for his gracious provision and deliverance in my own life. It is by his grace that I am alive.


I have supporting, liberating parents who helped to teach me that independent thought and search for answers is better than being told what to think. I am sure not to be in the church today had they just told me to be Christian or else. I thank God that he let them teach me and that he gave me so many uncomfortable questions to ask them.


I have a family, though loud and obnoxious (with special emphasis on obnoxious), is still the best family in the world. I thank God for them.


I serve in an international church that at times seems to act injustly, favoring rich Americans over the poor and sick here and in the rest of the world, yet is still willing to change (however slowly) seeking out new ways of helping the poor (this includes an uprising of a generation of pastors and laity who seek to reflect the influential power-under of Calvary and right wrongs of social injustice, God help us to do that more). I thank God for the Church of the Nazarene, may God help us to never put down the cross in favor of the sword.


I specifically serve a local church whose people have shown us grace and love and support. I thank God for a church that does so much for the poor of Dayton (Target Dayton) and throughout the world (Dominica) and who is open to the idea of ministry to the whole family, whatever that family may look like. May God continue to bless Parkview Church, so that it may bless the world.


Lastly and most importantly, I have a beautiful, loving wife whom I do not deserve. She shows me the very grace of God even when I'm in a bad mood and short with her. I thank God for her, every day. Thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

......and I thank God for you the "favored child" according to the other two who say your had a real car and a real swimming pool while growing up....the obnoxious one who came into our almost boring world at a time we were finished having children and became the messiah of hope for virility in our middle years....a stinging reminder of what the third child is supposed to be...and lastly another of our three who chose to serve God and give in unselfish ways to their families and community.

EF + said...

Hey...is that turkey still alive?

EF + said...

I don't know why e.e. came up as my name?