Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Peace of Sabbath Things


I would like to continue a recent discussion about poetry and theology. As I have said before, poetry is a prayerful speech that will dance with words far longer than words will dance by themselves.

I want to share another poem of which this Lords Day has reminded me. I had the honor to return to a church of which I was on staff a couple of years ago. St. Paul's church of the Nazarene lavished God's grace on me today. Today the wood drake rested its beauty in the midsts of the people of St. Paul's. Thank you Father for the rest I found in sabbath.

The Peace of Wild Things
by Wendell Berry

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your poem made me want to read some more of Wendell Berry. I went to the library and checked out ‘The Wild Birds.’ It’s a collection of short stories. I’m not done yet, but so far I am really enjoying it.

I have also been reading a lot of different poetry. Give me some time to digest some of it and we should pick back up the conversation.